Thursday, January 16, 2020

Random Draft comments




klown61455 on Cleveland's draft:  My 19th round pick, Raphael Saenz (P) may be the 2nd best player I drafted but if my 20 HS scouting is anywhere close to accurate, Darren Pressley will be an absolute steal with the 6th pick!

Ed. note:  I didn't see Pressley so all I have to go on are my Advanced Scouting ($0, so the department is basically my 15-yo beagle), which projects him to an OVR of 100, and the currents, which suggest a pretty good hitting (although free-swinging) 2B.


werniss on Colorado's draft:  I have 20 scouting on HS and 0 on College. I upped from 16 to 20 for HS this season. I was looking primarily for pitching in the first round (at pick #10) I had Derek Leach as my #1 prospect but was taken (went #4 overall).  Even though I had pitching as a target I had Pressley as #2 but was also taken ahead of me. So, my #3 McMillan which I haven't been able to sign yet as I thought he was the next available best pitcher that I can "see".  Also, William Washington a high school pitcher with 20 on high school scouting was apparently not scouted enough.  I still can't see him but he was picked #2 in the draft so I would be curious what ratings he has and why I couldn't see him with max budget of scouting on high school. That is my biggest beef with the current system.

Ed. note:  Both McMillan and Washington remain unsigned but I'd still expect them to be under contract soon.  I had McMillan at 8 and Washington at 9, but I could have underrated both (I have more $$ devoted to college than HS).

TXLnghrn on Vancouver's draft:  With my draft, I had a choice between Jimmy Stairs (PROJ 98 OVR) and Darren Pressley (PROJ 99 OVR).  I chose to put Stairs first and got him. I didn't see the guy who went #2. With Stairs, all his actuals are lower than I saw before the draft. Nevertheless, he's a 91 OVR with amazing offensive potential who'll end up in LF. Perennial all-star so can't complain too much. My supplemental pick (David Huang) should be a solid ML setup guy. And my 2nd-rounder (Gordon DePaula) is likely to make the bigs as at least a platoon 1B/LF that can crush lefties.

Ed. note:  TXLnghrn gets an A on this draft for choosing Stairs over Pressley (or any of the other #1 pretenders).  Although Stairs is 2 years older than Pressley I think his ratings will always stay ahead - he could be in the Majors to start next season and do well.  TXL might be a little optimistic about that 2nd-rounder, but Huang could be one of those low-control guys who has enough other quality ratings to be pretty effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment