Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Last Round of Strategy Tips and Uncommon Knowledge

(UCK) - uncommon knowledge
(ST) - strategy tip

(UCK) -  You can sign a coach in the second last cycle to a level lower than he currently is asking for or a lower position that he is looking for. Sometime they will even take less money than what they are requesting.

(ST) - (budgeting/financial management) - Starting pitching and power are the 2 commodities that are the hardest to trade for, so in a sense are the most "overvalued".  If you're comfortable doing a lot of trading, you can probably gain value by drafting SP's and power hitters with your first few picks and then trading them later to fill ML gaps.  Likewise, age 30+ power hitters are almost always the worst free-agent values.  Their power is already in decline but they still get 5 years, $60MM.

(ST) - (coaches) every now and then you can snag a Fielding Coach who's "hiding" among the ML Bench Coaches.

(ST) - In a different world I did experiment after reading a blog about putting a DH type fielder in RF. I found that since he was such a good hitter and there was such a low number of plays in RF that it did work in my favor as a way for a NL team to utilize that type of player.

(ST) - Man, as time goes on, I know less and less about this game. One of my strategies that has worked over the years a little is to have starters with high control and high velocity and worry less about splits than some teams. High control will reduce walks and high velocity will increase strikeouts. Balls in play will be reduced to allow my relatively low splits to be less of a disadvantage. I sort of do the same thing on the offensive side with power and eye. When I have a decent team, I really try to focus on having two really good starting pitchers that allow me to pitch only three starters in the playoffs. I've only won two world series and both were won because I had a couple of great starters carry me through the playoffs. Also, I basically don't let my players steal bases. Earl Weaver style.

No comments:

Post a Comment